“Curse this world for what it does to mothers, for what it does to daughters. Curse it for making us strong through loss and pain, our hearts torn from our chests again and again. Curse it for forcing us to endure.”
Author: Sabaa Tahir
Series: Book 3 of Embering Quartet
If you haven’t read Ember in the Ashes or A Torch Against the Night there will be life changing spoilers!
If you have then you are go to go on this review!
See my Crackpot Theories for A Reaper At the Gates Click Here
OH MY SWEET BABY JESUS THIS BOOK! Sabaa Tahir has broken my heart and soul. An Reaper at the Gates is the 3rd book in the Ember in the Ashes series and let me tell you I thought book two tore me apart but I was merely cracked. This book shattered me. The sad part is I went into it knowing it would.
Now on with the Non-Spoiler Review!
The Reaper at the Gates picked up roughly 3 months after the heart-breaking end in A Torch Against the Night. So here is basically what are characters are dealing with in this soul crushing 3rd book.
- Helene has currently lost her sh*t and for good reason after the douchbag Emperor killed her family besides Liva. She is trying to find the Commandant’s (Keris) weakness good luck with that.
- Laia has turned into an invisible bada** who at times allowed her side character’s story to outshine her.
- Elias…Poor freaking Elias. He breaks my heart and makes me want to smack him at the same time. He is having a serious crappy book life.
- Keris is currently reminding me of an onion you have to peel back the layers one at a time. Her evil plans have some good back stories.
- Nightbringer is still creeping around showing up randomly giving me conflicting emotions. He is forever reminding me of the love/hate relationship I had with the Darkling in the Grisha Trilogy.
- Lastly Emperor Marcus is still you know insane, vile, and just plain creepy. He does hold the title of the most savage burn in this book though. So he has that going for him I guess.
Okay so the storyline in this book did feel crowded in my eyes. I felt like a lot of the plot would of played out better in book 2 than in this book. It felt like a whole chuck of plot was thrown in my lap causing my brain to overload and making me go back and forth in the book connecting pieces.
I am pretty sure the best plot goes to Helene who was burning up those chapters.
I was looking forward to her story more than the others. She was showing us how strong a Blood Shrike can be. You go girl!
Like I said above Laia’s story line in this book was a hit and miss for me. I didn’t become invested until close to the end where her story it intersected with someone else…..can’t say who. She meets a new character and he pretty much outshines her in the book. She did start to burn brighter than in the other books though an gave us this line.
“I am the daughter of the Lioness. I destroyed Blackcliff. I saved the life of Elias Veturia. I survived commandant Keris Veturia. I survived the betray of the Resistance and Nightbringer. I crossed the Empire and broke into Kauf Prision. I rescued my brother and hundreds of other scholars. I am not nothing.”
I got chilled when I read that. Our baby is all grown up and putting people in their places.
Next poor Elias. Let me start by saying I love Elias. His other chapters in the first and second books were everything that made me love this series. This book was a mess. Elias chapters were boring, confusing and full of cock-block events that made me scream! I wanted to slap someone so freaking bad
I mean come on give the boy a break Sabaa.
“I will find you Laia. I will find a way. This not our end.” -Elias
Wrapping up I loved this book but it just didn’t hit the mark of the other two before it. The Reaper at the Gate is a must read and sets the stage for the next book really nice. Most chapters will blow your mind an have you saying oh hell no.
Most Savage/Burn Line Goes to Emperor Marcus!
“I was planning on cutting off your head,” Marcus says with a grin, “after I’d stuffed your manhood down your throat. But I think I’ll let you live so I can watch Keris gut you slowly.”
I will do a spoiler review later on. I will also be doing a crackpot theories post for the 4th book coming out.
There was so many theories that are racing in my mind so that will come really soon.
Strong 4.5 Jughead Hats